Do you want to participate in a 2 day co-creation marathon to make Skopje’s [name of district/area] more sustainable, resilient and collaborative?
What’s Skopje ROCK Hackathon 2018?
The City of Skopje, together with the University Ss. Cyril and Methodius, in partnership with Ecopreneurs for the Climate (ECO4CLIM), are co-organizing the Skopje ROCK Hackathon 2018, to be held on November 09–11 in Skopje (Macedonia). It is a 2-day co-creation marathon addressed at university students, young professionals and entrepreneurs, and aimed at boosting eco-entrepreneurship, sustainable business innovation, and collaborative networks, all key levers for effective and inclusive solutions to the city’s environmental challenges, including climate change. In particular, the hackathon will revolve around the following topic: re-use of cultural heritage to tackle socio-environmental in Skopje’s Old Bazar #SmartHistory #SmartGreen
The hackathon is part of the ROCK project, a Horizon 2020 funded project, and also of the Young Ecopreneurs Climathons 2018 initiative (#YoungEcoClimathons18), encompassing green hackathons in many cities around the world, happening throughout the spring and autumn, and concluding at the 2018 UN Climate Change Conference (COP24) in Katowice (Poland) on December 3-14.
Who can participate?
Everyone who wants to be involved in tackling the main environmental and social challenges, like climate change, cultural heritage accessibility and urban resilience, in the city’s Old Bazar district, by building sustainable, inclusive and viable solutions. Particularly:
- Students from universities or business schools
- Young professionals seeking employment in the sustainability/climate innovation realm
- Young ecopreneurs seeking ideas, opportunities and/or teammates
- Citizens interested in transforming their city intoa resilient urban system
When and where?
- November 09-11
- Venue to be confirmed
The Hackathon will last 2.5 days, structured around 4 working sessions, with expert facilitators and professional mentors guiding the methodological work aided by the “Green Business Canvas” tool:
- Friday, November09 – afternoon (17:30 – 19:30): presentation of the initiative (goals, organizers, partners, program, methodology and follow-up); identification and framing of local socio-environmental challenges in Skopje’s [district/area]; formation of diverse and multidisciplinary teams around selected challenges; solution design I (mission, vision & objectives).
- Saturday, November 10– morning (9:30 – 12:30): solution design sessions II, II amd IV (stakeholders, partners, customers, and value proposition)
- Saturday, November 10– morning (13:30 – 19:30): solution design V (business model); Prototype building, testing, feedback gathering, and enhancement.
- Sunday, November 11– morning (9:30 – 12:30): preparation of presentations and rehearsals; final pitching of projects to the audience and jury (main partners), which will provide feedback and award prizes.
After the hackathon, the winning projects will be developed and honed through various incubation programs, managed by the co-organizers, under the (online) supervision of Ecopreneurs for the Climate. On top of it all, after incubation, awardees could (to be confirmed) be offered the chance to present their projects at various national and international related forums like, potentially, ROCK’s match-making event in Bologna in 2019.
How to register?
Registration is mandatory, and implies commitment to attending and participatinv actively in the hackathon. To this end, please sign up for the event here:
Teams are welcome to register, but each member should sign up individually and then all will be grouped together at the beginning of the activity.
The City of Skopje and the University Ss. Cyril and Methodius, in partnership with Ecopreneurs for the Climate (ECO4CLIM).
The European Commission, through the Horizon 2020 Programme.